Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tuesday October 30

Today has been a very busy day, but a very good day. Candice invited me to attend a couple of special speakers at the college here in St. George. Candice spends most of her time in the art department and is loving it. There was a Chinese cholegrapher in the morning and a Chinese watercolorist. It was fun. I enjoyed the choreographer better than the watercolorist, but both were great.

I got more quilting done on a wall hanging for a client. I still have a lot to do on it. I decided I would get things ready for the art class I am teaching at the St. George Art museum next Tuesday. Candice is going to help me teach the class and if for some reason Dave and I don't make it back from our trip in time for me to teach the class she will do it for me. The is pretty cool program the museum has each fall for the 5th grade elementary schools. It is called Meet the Artist.  I will talk a little about my art...what I do and my tools. We only have 40 minutes and it is extremely hard to get what I want to teach done in 40 minutes. I am attempting to show the kids that they can get every color they need from 3 tubes of paint. In watercolor white is the paper itself and by mixing the three primary colors a muddy brown/black is created.  Last year, with the help of my dear friend Cindi Evertt, I put the paint on the pallets at the time of the class. This worked, but is was very stressful.

This year I am trying something different. I have been collecting the little white plastic containers that dog food comes in for about a year. So I have lots of these containers. I purchased watercolor pigments from AWS wholesale art supply a while ago. I have brushes from last year as well as pie tins that can be used as pallets. I have squirted a small amount of each primary color into a container. I will let the paint dry and then stack and wrap the 3 containers each containing one of the primary colors with plastic wrap. The containers can be thrown in the trash once we are done. The only things I will have to wash out are the brushes and the containers that belong to the museum.  Hopefully that will be much more
effective.  I have the color wheels drawn on
water color paper and have my examples all ready to go. If the kids have time, they will be given an extra sheet of water color paper to do a drawing of they would like to do.





If I remember to take my camera. I will post photos of the students next week. I guess I could use my phone to take the photos. I just don't really know how to post photos from my phone to this blog.

I have another full day tomorrow. I guess I ought to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment