Monday, September 8, 2014



I got one of my own tops quilted. This was a fun scrap quilt to quilt.  I am making some with different colored backgrounds. Currently doing a gray background.  I did use a full sized quilt for the backing on this one. I think it worked great. The sheet is a blend, but I was unable to find a 100% cotton sheet that was not very tightly woven. This one was 200 count. I wouldn't use anything with a higher thread count for the backing.  I paid only $8 for the sheet at wal-mart.  I have had a few clients bring me sheets for backing, we used to use them all the time. But it is frowned upon using anything that is not 100% cotton. I can see that in the top you would not want fabrics that might wear differently (poly is a lot more durable). But I don't see the problem with using them on the back. My reasoning was we use a poly batting or a blend such as 80/20 or 70/30 and that is ok...we use poly thread and that is ok to. So.......................... I would not encourage someone to use a sheet on an heirloom quilt, but really see no problem.  Just my thoughts. It does cut down on a $45-$80 sale for a fabric store. But, I think the more us quilters save the more we spend!

This week looks to be a very busy one for me. I am finishing up my Statue of Liberty quilt.... Have 3 quilts for clients. I got the underpainting done for my tall grass prairie quilts. I am doing one green and one burnt with fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment