Sunday, January 8, 2017

Sunday.... what a day


My day did not get started off that great today. Dave picked up water softener salt on his way home from work this morning. He took a couple bags down stairs and started screaming for me to get down there.  I couldn't imagine what was wrong, but he was very upset so I hurried down as fast as I could.  My studio floor had a inch of water covering the entire floor, the carpet in front of the door was wet, the carpet in the bathroom was wet and carpet in the other bedroom had a wet area.  I mean wet... soggy,  icky and squishy! A PVC  L fitting, which had been factory welded with glue, on the chlorinator had blown apart and the pool as running, so it was pumping water. The pool was not built when the house was built. The people did not think about where they were putting the pool pump and the pool heater.  Had they thought about it, really though about it, it would not have been put so close to the house.  It would have cost a lot more to for the electrical to locate the pump and heater on the other side of the pool away from the house, I assume that is the reason it was located where it is. The company that did the landscaping in the entire yard really did not think about where water would run when it rained either... the yard has way to much concrete. The landscaping looks cool, it just in not very practical, but that is another story.  When the ground is cold it does not absorb water as well as it does when it is hot and dry!

It took most of the day to clean it up.  I would still be cleaning had it not been for Candice and Dave.  I have a space heater and a fan in the hall. The ceiling fan in the bedroom is going.  The carpet is drying. I used the carpet cleaner to suck water up from the floor in my studio. I am impressed with the self stick tiles I put down a few years ago.  They have had water on them more than once, never as much as today though. I lost some of my expensive pastel paper, some sketch books got wet. I am drying the drawings I care about out. I threw a lot of stuff in the garbage. The floor is clean! And Candice cooked us a wonderful dinner!



 I started working on this peacock quilt last week and got the squares sewn together last night. I had planned on working on it all day today. The peacock panel was made on my embroidery machine in tiles, in-the-hoop. I did this 2 or 3 years ago  and have finally gotten around to making it into a quilt. I am using 2 1/2 inch (unfinished) half square triangles and 2 1/2 inch blocks. I fussy cut some of the flowers out for the four corners. I am making the pattern up as I go.  I want to make this a good sized quilt... maybe queen size. I have enough fabric to make two or three quilts, but won't make another embroidered peacock panel. I had hoped to have it done for our quilt guild quilt show this spring, but that is not going to happen. I am being very, very careful with my cutting and sewing. I am careful and exact with the quilting I do, but sewing things together....... well I like art quilting. These are some of the fabrics I had purchased to do a peacock quilt, when the fabric was in the stores and that was a few years ago. I have enough to do more than one!

Because of the flood my day did not go as planned.  I still have Christmas  decorations to take down and put away. My Christmas village have to be put away before the tree can be taken out. So many things to do and sooooo little time! 

I have spent to much time on the computer today too.  So..... I am going to close, check my space heater, see how the carpet is drying out and get ready for bed.  I have a lot to do tomorrow. I have a client's quilt handing on my design wall in my studio, so I can decide how to quilt it. Thankfully it was not close to the floor, so it did not get wet.  I will close for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment