Saturday, July 18, 2015

Janet's quilt

I finished Janet B's quilt yesterday. It was a big one. Large enough I had to purchase batting from a quilting friend who carries 120 70/30.  I really don't like to piece batting unless I can't find batting that is wide enough. If am  doing an heavily quilted art type quilt then I have not problem adding or subtracting batting. But for a bed quilt, one that is going to be used and washed and washed and used and maybe passed down to family, the batting should be one piece.  I have pieced batting before, using a serpentine  cut and then stitching it together by hand. I have sewn batting together on my domestic machine and used it. I have client's that bring me pieced batts. I will use what ever the client wants, but my mind set is..... you spend a lot of money on the material, time sewing the top, you pay to have it quilted........ you should put a quality backing on your quilt and have a nice piece of batting. Why chance having the batting pull apart when it won't cost that much more for a nice batting.  I compromise on some things. I have used sheets for backing. If I can find a cotton sheet that is not to densely woven.  That is kind of what the big back are.... .sheets just have hems. 
It is late and I need to hit the sack.
Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment