Friday, October 24, 2014

Great Basin National Park quilt

I have most of the quilting done on this art quilt. It measures 43 inches Wide by 58 inches long right now. I am pretty pleased with how it is going. I still have work to do on the leaves and rocks.  I used Superior threads www.superiorthreads.com monopoly to appliqué all the pieces on my cad red foundation fabric. The quilting in the sky is done with Glide in the top and Superior Thread's Bottom line in the bobbin.  The thread used for the quilting in the tree was Isacord in the top and the same bottom line in the bobbin as I used in the sky.  You know how us quilters say the quilt tells us how it wants to be quilted. Well this quilt spoke quite loudly telling me the trunk and rocks wanted to be stuffed. This quilt top has many layers  in the appliqué and the glue I used to attach the pieces to the back ground initially is still in the quilt along with the batting and the backing. I always start with a 70/30 batting for stability and then usually  put wool on top of that. This time I had the end of a bolt of polydown that I had purchased from Let's Quilt a couple years ago. This older batting has the feel of wool and quilts pretty much like wool too. The piece of batting was the perfect size for this quilt and I decided to use it (the new polydown I have purchased are not the same, the are more flat and stiff.) My Innova had no problem sewing through all the layers. I, however, had problems keeping all the layers all nice and flat. I ended up with to much quilt to and not enough back.  So I went with what the quilt apparently wanted and added some batting to take up the extra top. That is my story and I am sticking with it! lol! 


I will post a finial photo when it is all bound and the hanging sleeve is sewn into place. But for now it is time to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment