Friday, October 27, 2017

Ruth's Quilt

Time is marching on. The colors and temps here in St. George are truly wonderful! I have gotten out some and am going to take a walk in a few minutes. Then head back to my quilting machine. I have another small quilt to do for Ruth.  I delivered the her latest to her yesterday..... She loved it. I am always very happy when a client loves what I have done with her quilt.

The center of this quilt did not seem  to fit with the outside.  It needed something to bring the quilt together. This one took me a lot of time deciding what quilt design to do.  Piano keys were perfect for the border.... I did what I call bananas as a back fill and the drew iris in the center and stitched them out with a yellow thread the same color as the border. I first ditched everything with Superior Thread's clear Mono-poly. I added eco quilting around the iris, radiating out to fill in the space. I feel the design I came up with makes the whole quilt flow together.  I got suggestions from Cathie Purdy, a fellow long quilter and fiber artist. I bounced ideas off another wonderful fiber artist Carrol Lee Stoltz, who quilts her own small pieces on her domestic machine. I ended up using my own design, but there input helped me come up with the design. It is wonderful to have friends who will help us along our paths! I am very lucky to have landed here in St. George, Utah. I hope to stay here, this is home.


I need to get busy..... walk if I am going to walk. I have one more quilt to do for Ruth McIntire.  She told me this is her last quilt.  I am honored to be chosen to quilt it.  Her daughter's with a simple quilt design on it.  It is very modern and could quilted more modern that I am going to quilt it. Heavy modern quilting would make it a whole different quilt.
I had a quilt dropped off yesterday and have another coming next week. 
Happy Quilting

No comments:

Post a Comment